Sunday, July 25, 2010

My Strange Laundry or: Why I Need to Spend More Time Dressing Better and Less Time Selling Fashion Stuff to Other People

First the title of this post: we love Netflix. So many fun movies that we missed somehow over the  years. "Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" is such a fabulous movie! I know how I missed it when it first came out. It was "commie pinko propaganda" so I obviously wouldn't have seen it then. And then later, the "riding the bomb" scene was played over and over and who needed to see the rest, right? Wrong. It's an awesome flick and totally worth seeing. Slim Pickens is an absolute delight in this film. (And Peter Sellers and Sterling Hayden too, of course.) And the movie spawned endless "double" titles.

Now to the main post. I call this shot "Keep the Sabbath Day Holy." I looked at this line of laundry and was deeply depressed. I really need to dress better. Jeans every day of the week and a nice suit and pantyhose on Sunday. This is no longer going to cut it.

I spend my days selling vintage patterns, scarves, purses and other groovy fashion stuff to folks all over the world. I spend the rest of my time writing a novel about a young lady who meets a 1950s seamstress. And yet, I obviously exhibit no fashion sense (except for Sunday). 

Here are my excuses. I write at home. I stay at home. I make one trip a day to the post office in Shavertown which is exactly one half mile away.  Sorry, those are paltry excuses.

It's true that my house is presently overrun with boxes of vintage patterns which I bought on Ebay and stacks of vintage fabrics and notions which I bought at an estate sale. So I will have to wear work clothes to get that in order. But I resolve to do better. More updates later.





No comments: