Friday, June 26, 2009

Two more days




Two more days until MF and her crew get here from Prague. On the one hand, I can't wait. On the other, I've got a ton to do. My "to do" list is two pages long. But I will get as much of it done as I can. The main thing is to have a bed for everyone, a place for everyone to eat, and a place for some toys.

We've still been absorbed in the Civil War. We've been watching "Gods and Generals." We also had watched most of "Gettysburg" before going to the battlefield. I had just found it at a discount store. Both these films are wonderful and I'm disappointed the third one won't be made as "Gods and Generals" didn't do well in movie houses. It is four hours long so that's partly understandable.

It's going to be very exciting to be living here so close to most of the battle sites for the Civil War sesquicentennial. Anyone who's from the South or this part of the North knows that this is still a subject that has infinite meaning even though it happened 150 years ago. I saw many fresh bouquets of flowers on the site of Joan of Arc's execution site and that happened in 1431. People don't forget great sacrifices.

The photos are of the Virginia monument (the only one we found with posted warnings about vandalism--how sad) and Michael and me on the path that leads to the battlefield.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Ha, still stuff to do here and our deadline's earlier than yours. But the great thing about flying is that once you're on the plane, you're done. You get there whether you want to or not. Can't wait to see you! V's about to die from anticipation.

Susan said...

I hope we live up to her expectations. I bought the little boxes of cereal and animal crackers yesterday =)