Monday, April 19, 2010

I must be power hungry

The random photo is from the dinosaur museum at BYU. Pretty impressive.
Yesterday we went to Clarks Summit early in the morning for a choir rehearsal. It was snowing (but not sticking) when we got there. Fun. Michael likes it. So there you go.

But the experience was amazing. For the first time ever, I directed a stake (regional) church choir. The best singers in our church in Northeast PA are all there and I have the baton. What a thrill as I'm really not the best director in the world. Completely self taught and you know what that means. We sang Mack Wilberg's "Redeemer of Israel" which includes a four-part mens' section and two organists, one playing a lot of great and difficult stuff and the other playing the trumpet part on another manual. Recently sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in an international broadcast. And the choir members and organists really outdid themselves. Their performance was stirring.

I really, really enjoyed it. Probably so much that I'll never be asked to do it again. I was probably a little too enthusiastic in my directing. (Okay, a lot too enthusiastic.) But I couldn't help myself. Henry Kissinger said, "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." And if bringing down the baton and having glorious music begin isn't power, I don't know what is. It was also heady to rehearse the choir and hear them get better as I made suggestions (more like commands--here we go with the power thing again.)

I guess the photo is not so random. I have a real T-Rex style as a choir director. I came home exhausted but happy.



No comments: