Friday, August 7, 2009

Retirement and summer breezes

I thought last year was the most beautiful August of my life, but this one may better it. It's 11:33 AM and a lovely 73 degrees outside. The yard is green, the rhubarb and tomato plants are flourishing, the coreopsis and clematis are blooming in our yard and the mums are just coming on. I'm trying very hard not to get complacent. I check the weather in Texas every once in a while just for a wake-up call. It will be 100 in Denton today, maybe 80 here. There will be a price to pay in January but let me love it while I can.

Retirement looms and we're not ready. Is anyone our age ready? We're looking at refinancing this house while interest rates are low so that we can build up more equity. We had almost paid off the Ridgecrest Circle house in Denton. It hurt like heck to move up here and start on a new mortgage. We've lived in several homes I've really loved, but the Ridgecrest one was the best.

We don't plan to retire here. Too expensive in more ways than I can count. For one thing, they're taxing fools up here. City income taxes, county income taxes, state income taxes, personal taxes. It goes on and on. Plus, stuff like food and utilities cost more.

The ideal would be for some miracle to occur so that we could afford a winter place down South and live up here in the summer. That's what lots of folks here do. You see tons of empty houses in the winter in our area. They wander back from Florida or North Carolina or wherever in May and then go back South when the snows come. Wouldn't that be nice?

I'm cleaning out the office today. I won't finish it. We never really organized it when we moved in. But I'm going to take a few bites of elephant today.

1 comment:

Georgia and David said...

No one your age is ready. You're the generation that got totally hosed.