Monday, September 7, 2009

Seven Unrelated Thoughts





First, the pattern. I was looking for another pattern and I found this one that I've been looking for forever. I have favorite dresses I made for all the girls and this was MF's. I made it up in lavender and she looked like a dream in it. As I remember, the fabric faded so I'm not even sure if GL wore it. The pockets and collar had embroidered flowers and tiny rickrack. Plus piping. I thought it was too late for my granddaughters but it's a size six. So now it's up to the mommies to decide. If they want one for their girls, I'll make one up for them. (A little longer though and in fabric that won't fade!) If it's too out of style, at least I have it to remember by.

Second, the leaves are already changing color. It's been a very cool August. I'm so not ready.

Third, another loser who stole funds from a kids' sports league was on the front page this week. There have been so many it's hardly news. Maybe they should just put them on the back page the way they do the drive-by murderers in Dallas, Texas.

Fourth, new curtains. I've been here a year and a half, Michael tells me. It was about time. I could put my hand through the holes in the bathroom eyelet curtains. When I took down the kitchen curtains they all but disintegrated. You can't tell much from the photos, but I think they came out nicely.

Fifth, Michael had another emergency at work and so he was at work a big part of the day on Saturday, at the airport picking up a part at 1 AM Sunday morning, back at work on Sunday and he tells me he has work to do today as well. It was a huge problem and I'm cool with that but the timing was just so wrong. So much for our three-day weekend.

Sixth, I'm still homesick. Why? I thought I would have adjusted by now. For a long time, I was okay. But recently, I find myself wanting to go back home. I can think of three reasons. Number one, fifty per cent of my children now live in Denton and where am I? Reason number two is that I've never had any trouble getting a job. But I haven't gotten so much as an interview here. Thirdly, it's Michael who knows people here and who has all kinds of connections. In Texas, he worked in Decatur or Fort Worth and I worked in Denton. I knew hundreds more people than he did around town. But here it's just the opposite. And we haven't even mentioned Mexican food.

Seventh, life is still extremely good. I've lost a few pounds which means that my winter suit skirts will probably zip now. The homesickness comes and goes but mostly goes. I just try to put it behind me (like Satan.)

No comments: