Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day

I survived. Mother's Day was so hard when the kids were little. But now that they're grown, I really enjoy it. I didn't get to see any of the kids, which was sad. But I did get to talk to all four of them on the phone. And I got to talk to my mom twice which was also great.

Flowers are beautiful here just in time for Mother's Day. The lilies of the valley in our yard are the most wonderful smelling things ever. We have pink and white ones. I will try to get some pictures posted tomorrow.

It is so odd living here sometimes. You're driving down the highway admiring the stunning flowers, the trees, the mountains and the beautiful clear streams. Then the next thing you know you're passing some horrible abandoned factory or culm (anthracite slag heap). In a way it reminds me of Decatur, Texas. That little town must have had no zoning laws at all when we lived there. You'd see a mansion next to a mobile home next to a gas station next to a beauty shop next to another mansion. This area is like that but on a larger scale. You see some of the most magnificent natural beauty in the world as well as some of the most depressing man-made eyesores. The economy has been tough here for a long time and I really admire the many folks I read about in the paper who are trying to save the good stuff and get rid of the bad. But there's still a lot of work to be done.

No comments: