Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Day of School

Welp, if you liked the first day of school with the smell of new pencils, paper and books, then you should become a teacher. You get to participate in first days of school even when you've finished school yourself.

I start college teaching again today with a class of English at Luzerne County Community College. Should be interesting. This is an introductory class so the students will be mostly brand new to the college experience. Sort of like teaching freshmen in high school. Goggle-eyed and overwhelmed. I'm trying to use as many sentence fragments as possible in this post. Fighting a never-ending battle against them from this day forward. (Or so I'm told.) What are the chances of me getting a class full of people who already know what a complete sentence is? Not too good. First spelling words of the day? "A lot." I don't know why "alot" bugs me more than any other misspelling. Just does. We'll tackle "their, there, there's, theirs, its and it's" once they find their feet. Oh, and definitely do "definately." Enough fragments for ya?

No comments: