Monday, February 14, 2011

I heart Google

 I heart Google. I must admit it. I am wildly in love with my husband, Michael, but I need Google in my life almost as much.

As a nonfiction writer, I rely on Google for my research. As a fiction writer, Google tells me if there's anybody out there with the same name that I want for my character and prevents me from naming a fictitious town the actual name of a real town. For my ageing brain's sake, Google helps me remember the name of that movie star who was in that movie that had that other movie star who was married to you know who. I use Google maps to help me find me way. Google analytics tells me who visits my shops and when and what keywords they use.

As in any relationship, we have our odd, unhappy moments. I get really angry when Google can't find my shop items. Nothing is worse for a shop than being invisible to Google. It's like Google doesn't love me back. And I also get miffed when they miss out on golden opportunities for Google Doodles because they think they might be too controversial like the 100th anniversary of Boy Scouting. And Google Help can leave me pretty hopeless. But, all in all, I think we get along well.

So, Google, I love you. I hope you're always there for me.

2 comments:

Brad said...

I hope you and Google have a happy Valentine's Day together. :)

Susan said...

Well, since Michael is sick today, it probably will be me and Google!