Sunday, May 22, 2011

Camp Acahela



This blog is about my experiences up here in NEPA but I felt like I needed to share one of Michael's experiences. It does have something to do with me.

My whole life Dad has been talking to me about Camp Acahela and how wonderful it was to be at Boy Scout camp there. I knew that the camp was close to my home, but I also knew that it was used mainly as a Cub camp now. So when Michael was given the opportunity to go there and be a leader for our church's Boy Scout trip on a rappelling trip, we were excited and I sent him there with the camera.

No wonder Dad talked about it! Be sure and click on these pictures so you can see all the flowering trees and details. That's the Lehigh River which runs through the camp.

So often when you go back to look at some place your parents raved about, it's smaller (or closer as in the three miles they walked to school in the snow) or disappointing in some other way. But this has got to be one of the most beautiful Scout camps anywhere.

Michael also saw a leader from another troop. Troop 1 of Honesdale, PA! This troop does go back to 1911. BSA doesn't recognize any troop in the US as being the first (it's too hard to call) but this is one of the very first.

So there you go. And when Dad looked at the pictures, it looked as he remembered it. Also something that doesn't happen every day. Some things are as good as you remember them.

1 comment:

JamieKeaney said...

my dad was a camp director there a long time ago for many years. what was your father's last name?