Friday, August 29, 2008

Cute little library

I was disappointed that our church genealogical library is in Scranton and not in my home church building the way it was in Denton. But I had already noticed a little building near my house that is the headquarters of the Northeast PA Genealogical Society. It sounds rather important but it just a small society that works out of a little cinder block building on what used to the main drag before they built 309, the Cross Valley Expressway.

I checked it out yesterday and met a nice couple there. Online it had said that it was a satellite library of our church's Genealogical Library in Salt Lake. They do have a really sophisticated scanner and have access to loans of microfilm from Salt Lake.

What is really cool is that their main function is actually microfilming local records. They have been doing cemetery records of late. I saw a register for a big cemetery in Hanover Township where Michael works. This volume was for the Jewish section of the cemetery and also had a section just for babies.

It's only open on Thursdays from 10 to 2 so no chance of me spending all my time there. But I will go back just to see what they have and to see if I can help out. I've been looking for a volunteer opportunity and this might be it.

No comments: