Monday, August 18, 2008

We have survived!

The kids have gone home, my son on Friday and the family from Prague on Sunday. Taking my son to the airport was uneventful but so poignant for me. The girls have their own families, but Michael and I (and his sisters) are Zach's family until he starts a new one of his own. The leaving of the Prague family was wildly exciting. They left their small DVD player (an essential element for the long plane ride home) so I zipped into my little red Miata and drove to meet them. Cell phones are amazing, aren't they? We managed to hook up at a Wawa (it's a kind of convenience store) at the I-80 exit off the turnpike. So I got one last hug from a happier grandson and a sticky-faced and adorable granddaughter.

I appreciate the kids coming so much. I hoped during their visits that they were having a nice vacation as Michael and I aren't the most exciting people right now. My knee went out right before they got here and Michael ended up working way more than he had planned. He had to go to the pharmacy on Sunday and missed their last day here which was sad. This pharmacy runs on the Sabbath Day which I just hate. I spent a lot of time just keeping things running. We kinda maxed out the house as far as bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen and laundry facilities go.

I think the attic playroom was a hit. V, my granddaughter, christened it the steepy stairs since she wasn't allowed to come down the stairs alone. Maybe by next trip we'll have a handrail which will make it safer. Martin thought of them more as the secret stairs. It is a cool place which will only get cooler as I organize it. It will be a sewing room for me at some point as well.

When the grandkids are here what I want to do mostly is hold them or look at them. Michael agrees. And we got to do a lot of that. I loved spending time with my son-in-law, my son and my daughter. They are all fascinating people and when things were quiet enough to talk, I learned things as I always do when I am with them.

Today it's more laundry and cleaning bathrooms and my first visit to a new dentist. The fourth book in the vampire series by Stephenie Meyer is waiting for me on hold a the library. My Utah daughter tells me that it's wonderful so in between laundry loads, I will probably have my nose in a book.

This blog is about the move to PA and I'm wondering what this blog has to do with that. I think it's about the difficulty of getting together with our family and how precious our time is when we get together now.

No comments: