Saturday, April 11, 2009

Good Friday service

We went to St. Stephen's Episcopal Church for Good Friday services. They have maybe the best organ in the valley here. Malheureusement, you don't hear a lot of organ music on Good Friday. Who knew? Certainly not me. But the choir was awesome and we actually got to participate in plainsong and chanting. And we got to participate in singing O Sacred Head Now Wounded and Were you There?

The building is quite amazing. There are wooden angels on each rafter. And the dome behind the altar looks like it is made of mosaic. Lots of beautiful stained glass too. I wonder if my dad ever visited this church? I doubt it. Compared to Forty Forty Presbyterian where he went, it is very, very, very high church.

What we did hear of the organ makes us want to go back and hear it again. The service required so much standing. We decided that you have to have a lot of stamina to be an Episcopalian. I had to be seated for a lot of the service. Standing is the most difficult thing for me right now. But we enjoyed the somber service very much. The choir sang the story of the Crucifixion as a play. It was very impressive.

Today Michael has the day off! And we might even do something fun! Something that doesn't require me to walk or stand.

Yesterday I got to talk to my granddaughter on her birthday. I explained that I couldn't believe she was seven. I could almost hear the eye-rolling. She said, "But Grammie, you remember that I was six last year." I replied, "Try explaining that to Grandpa Bond." My sweetie doesn't believe you necessarily have to get older at each birthday. He was 33 for many years.

No comments: