Saturday, April 4, 2009

Happy Birthday to My Blog


I missed it! My blog's first anniversary. I've been so busy writing that I forgot to write a post for its birthday. And I know so little about blogging, I don't know if I was supposed to do something special! I think your hundredth blog is some kind of milestone but other than that I'm clueless.

My first post last year was April 2nd. So here's one candle for a year and another candle to grow on. I'll try to do another big anniversary blog on April 11th. That's the day we moved into the house.

A year ago, I would have been shocked to foresee in a crystal ball what has happened this year. I knew back then I had a problem with migraines but I couldn't have guessed I'd get a cough that lasted two months or do real damage to my back. I would also have been shocked to see how hard Michael has had to work. And what a tough year my folks and my cousins have had. I would have thought that we would have traveled more. (Actually I've traveled a lot but without Michael and that's not half as much fun.) And that we would have unpacked more of the moving boxes and been more settled in. And I would have expected to be more involved in the community and better off in my writing career. But there have been good surprises too. My son's success running his own shop, my oldest daughter's new plans for graduate school, a new grandbaby and another on the way and a brother's engagement. Two beautiful weddings even though I missed one of them. Lots of good stuff has happened. Unfortunately lots of it has happened in faraway places.

What's up in PA this week? It's rainy and cold and overcast today but we've had some sunshine the past few days. I would have put my top down one day but wasn't sure I could get it back up because of my back. I'll have to try it out when Michael's here.

More corruption in high places. The mall is deserted. Another company is laying off hundreds of workers. That is hardly news here, but there's also been a disturbing run of violent acts. I'm assuming that this is going on everywhere judging from the news. You can't put people under this much economic and social pressure and expect them all to behave nicely. We figured that out from inner cities long ago.

One of the soft ice cream places is open. That's a sure sign of spring. And daffodils are coming up and are blooming everywhere except our yard which is shady. But we'll have them eventually.

Big potluck at church tomorrow. Just like last year. I noted last year that it was low on vegetables so I'll try to bring something with vitamins in it.

On a personal level, I got my MRI back and the news isn't too bad. I won't be having surgery which is awesome news. I won't be getting better tomorrow which isn't very good news. But all in all, I'm happy with the results.

So, happy birthday, little blog. Your whole purpose was to document a move and I think you've done that well.

No comments: