Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Why it's still weird to be here



Just when I think I'm settling in, I get disoriented again. For one thing, the picture is of my car this morning. Yes, snow in April. And I was freezing in the house all day yesterday because the thermostat didn't get turned up until about ten o'clock. We turn it down to 58 at night and then move it up to 68 in the morning.

Michael's band rehearsal is canceled for this coming Monday because of the holiday. He asked me this morning, "Is Easter Monday a holiday?" I didn't think so but then I looked it up on Wikipedia. If you trust Wikipedia, Easter Monday is a holiday in a long list of places including France, Hong Kong, Swaziland, the Ukraine and Egypt.

Evidently Catholics and the Polish in particular do celebrate Easter Monday in this part of the US. The biggest celebration is in brisk Buffalo, New York. Reading over the website Dyngus Day Buffalo is like going to another planet. The six basic elements of Dyngus Day are: pussywillows, squirt guns, vodka, kielbasa, polka and beer. Who knew? And they're going to do all this in the snow?

As I said, it's still weird to be here.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Easter Monday is the big day here. That's when the boys go out and beat the girls with switches until they give them eggs (or booze).

Susan said...

Sounds similar. That's what the pussy willows are for. Evidently in Poland they used to pour buckets of cold water on the girl of their choice while she was still in bed. Br-r-r-r.