Friday, November 20, 2009

Life's patterns



As I approach my birthday, I wax philosophic. I never like to be a cookie cutter person, but I must follow the crowd on some things. Baby boomers are averse to growing old, and I'm glad to be part of that group. There was a day when women settled into a middle-aged homey look and they didn't worry so much about waistline or style. That's not me or practically any other boomer lady. (It's not my mom either so I've got a good example to follow.) Boomers follow another pattern. We tend to be very nostalgic as a group. I think it's because our young era from the 50s to the 70s was a memorable and exciting part of the twentieth century. We had cool stuff. In fact, the 50s saw the beginning of the concept "cool." Roy Rogers lunchboxes and hula hoops. We also got to wear cool things like Converse sneakers (for boys only at that point) and poodle skirts. We had the best rock music. Sorry for everyone else, but it's true.

Speaking of patterns, don't you love this one? I bought it a thousand years ago at a garage sale. It's missing the instructions so I won't be selling it, but the picture on the front just sends me. The guys are playing golf, smoking pipes and discussing a business paper in their PJs. Awesome, is it not? What kind of man would walk around with a golf club while wearing his shorty pajamas and his houseshoes? Hmm, maybe I shouldn't ask that question. This picture is a slice of the past. It's what a man was supposed to be.

2 comments:

swill456 said...

Susan,
What about the nightshirt? Have you ever seen a man in a nightshirt? I have. My father-in-law always wore one. When he couldn't find a man's in the 1980s, he would wear a woman's!
Sandra

Susan said...

That is so funny!