Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Birthday Quilt


I've been lugging around boxes of scraps for years. I always thought how cool it would be to make a quilt of all the clothes I'd constructed (and that my girls had constructed) over the years. At the last big family get-together, I divided up all the scraps and gave a selection to all the girls so that that they could start lugging around their own set of scraps. Lo and behold, my darling daughter, GL, actually made them up into something--a wonderful birthday quilt for me. I tried not to tear stain it because I was truly touched. And no, I am not using is as an antimacassar. I'm still looking for the perfect place to hang it. This house gets a lot of sun, and I don't want it to fade, but I also want it to be in a prominent place so that I can look at it often. Be sure and click on the photo to get an up close view of all the wonderful fabrics she included.

It's a beautiful object all on its own, but if you don't sew, you can't quite get the importance of seeing all those projects. Every small square represents a memory. There are tons of beautiful dresses on here but some are not dresses at all. My clown suit (GL had one that matched), NS's beloved cow shorts, some of the fabric from the Hawaiian shirts I made for the whole family, lots of  80s bloomers--those sure were cute, and even a piece from a flour sack that I used to play fashion designer with when I was a girl. GL and I are sure that she made up at least one of these projects, that NS did and that my mom did. I am almost positive MF will find a square on here that represents one of her many sewing projects as well. Those years we were making so many dresses, it is kind of a blur who made what. But that would make it truly unique and would represent three generations of sewing machine magic. 


I realize how blessed I was to have all those girls at at time when home sewing was not only possible but affordable. Beautiful dresses made out of cottons were all the style and we made some absolute gorgeous ones. We even had an orange one that had a big square collar and ribbon ties at the side waist that fit all of us. You never knew which one of  us would be wearing it.

Thanks to GL for an amazing present.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Georgia rocks! I'm not sure that I can peg a project that I worked on -- I've lost track at this point of which ones I made and which ones you made. (I'd forgotten that I helped with my prom dress until I started cutting out scraps for Barbie clothes. Then I remembered what a pain the fabric was to cut out.) Lots of my clothes in there, and lots I borrowed from my big sis (without asking), and quite a few items I'd almost forgotten. Turtle shorts.