Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Why my house will never be uncluttered



This is why my house will never be uncluttered. There are just so many things I can't throw away. Unfortunately for my future heirs, none of this stuff will have any value on Ebay. But this little memento I don't have to feel too badly about. My mother-in-law who didn't save a whole lot of stuff (she did have to pack up and move to Australia, then England, then the Netherlands) kept this paper which is one of a set of four. It's my husband's first (and last) screenplay. I believe it was from second grade as it isn't in cursive. He was a really good writer even then. This story has everything--emotion, suspense and, of course, a happy ending. Unfortunately, his spelling was amazingly good. Nothing is more amusing than kids who are just learning how to spell. But he did misspell a few. My favorite is the word "throught." He knew he had to use silent letters, he just didn't know when to stop.

Of course, I have the original story, but at some point the cheap paper from his Big Chief writing tablet will disintegrate. Remember those tablets? They had newspaper-like lined paper and a red cover with an Indian on the front. Do they still make them?

So that's why there are boxes of papers, cards, schoolwork, photos, postcards, etc. Even a few of my school things survive. A poem about a cat which I wrote seemed to me wonderful enough to save at the time. In retrospect, I see that Michael definitely showed more writing promise than I.

2 comments:

Georgia and David said...

Seriously cute. I'm very impressed! Excellent handwriting and spelling. And very interesting--what happens next??

Susan said...

I'll have to publish the rest in installments! Like Dickens!