Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dumbfounded





The picture here has nothing to do with the post. But if you look carefully you can see a really big tuba with a white-haired guy playing it. The Hazleton band played a delightful concert at a nursing home the other night. The band members' service represents absolutely the best that Americans can do with their free time.

But back to the matter at hand. I don't really have time to blog but I am absolutely dumbfounded. I have to say something. Remember that for years now, local judges have been denying teens due process, rushing through their convictions and sending them off to wilderness camps and juvie centers so that the judges could get kickbacks from the owner of the juvenile detention center.

So what's on the front page of the Times-Leader today? The ACLU had threatened a restraining order if  the city didn't take down the manger scene and menorah in front of the Courthouse. The city complied because they have so many budget issues they can't justify any funds to pursue a lawsuit. My question is where the heck was the ACLU when the kids and their parents were having their civil rights all trampled over?

Let's put this into perspective. Having a manger scene in front of the Courthouse might make someone who wasn't a Christian uncomfortable. I've seen this manger scene and I don't think there's any chance of someone being converted by looking at it. On the other hand, denying a kid the right to a fair hearing and sending a kid to prison or detention can ruin his or her family life and affect his or her future.

So thank you, ACLU, for doing the right thing. It's clear that you make sure your attorneys earn their salaries by sticking to the important infringements of people's rights. That manger scene was a really hot issue and must have offended thousands of people. I'm impressed by the way you jumped all over it. So Merry Christmas to you, ACLU, and a Happy Hanukkah too.

2 comments:

Brad said...

I'm not missing the craziness of the civics in that neck of the woods...

Susan said...

Being from Louisiana, I thought I understood crooked politicians, but I'm buffaloed here.