Sunday, December 20, 2009

No Christmas program either but I did see Rudolph


As choir director and organist, today was pretty weird. My soprano soloist is in Cancun trying to get a flight to Baltimore, my bishop and his wife (and prime alto) are snowed in in New Jersey and the rest of us made it to church as best we could. Seriously, we had a very minor snowfall compared to the big snowfalls down South. Just a few inches. But we still called the church music program off. It will be next week. Today we just had a few impromptu talks and lots and lots of carol singing. Luckily, I get paid by the note. (For those not in the know, that's a joke. No one gets paid to play the organ in LDS church meetings.) My fingers certainly got a workout.The photo is not of my organ at church! This is a bit of the console of the Wanamaker organ in Philly.

We're still looking good for flying out tomorrow from Philly. The storm is over down there. The only snag could be if they have hundreds and hundreds of people waiting to fly out because their flights were canceled. I will be checking us in online as soon as it's possible to do so today.

Last night we went to have a hamburger and then do a little shopping. We'd had snow earlier and everything looked beautiful. The snowflakes were so tiny they shone like diamonds. I've always pooh poohed those snow globes with the sparkles inside as being unrealistic, but that's exactly what it looked like.  On the way out of our neighborhood, I noticed that the yard art was moving at one house. Lots of people here have deer statues in their yard. Tell me why you want one when we have so many of the real thing wandering around.  I pointed out the deer to Michael and he stopped the car. Nine deer walked right in front of us. That's all eight of Santa's reindeer and Rudolph thrown in. They crossed the road in front of us and then easily vaulted over a hurricane fence to go the yard on the other side of the road. So much for fencing in your garden. Then while we were at the restaurant, it started to snow again. The ride home was so beautiful it was breathtaking. We followed deer tracks all the way home. Tell the grandkids that I didn't see Santa but I did see his ride. Awesome!

No comments: