Friday, November 6, 2009

Got upgraded

My bone density scores are in. I'm usually good at taking tests, but I've been failing this one for years. I was really, really worried because of the months of inactivity caused by the sciatica problem I had. But amazingly, my spine number is in the normal range for the first time in maybe ten years? My hip is still not so good, but it didn't get any worse in the past two years. I guess that was much better than I could have hoped for. The three main things that fight osteoporosis are calcium, medications and exercise. And I failed miserably at one of those. So I'm still fighting it and making slow progress. And I hope all you young ones out there are exercising, getting enough calcium either in your diet or in tablets, and that you're getting vitamin D2 or D3. We didn't know what to do when I was young. You young women have the advantage. Who told me what I could do in my youth to avoid being a tiny bent-over little old lady? No one.