Monday, February 8, 2010

Happy Birthday!

You would think we had enough birthdays this month what with my son, granddaughter and husband celebrating. But today marks a very important milestone and I, for one, am totally disappointed there wasn't a Google Doodle to celebrate it.

Today is the 100th anniversary of the Boys Scouts of America. This fine program has benefited my own family greatly. My dad became an Eagle in this valley in the 30s. He has fond memories of Camp Acahela which is still around today and is used for Cubs, I think. Michael loved Scouting and regrets that his troop disbanded while he was a Life Scout. Michael was one of the best Scoutmasters ever with many of his Scouts going on to get their Eagle Scout award. My son is also an Eagle Scout. One of the proudest moments of my life was when my dad gave my boy his Eagle award. And I would be remiss if I neglected the Eagle Scout who married into our family. Our N, who lives in the Czech Republic, is also an Eagle Scout and has already served in the Scouting program as a leader. His dad was also a fine Scoutmaster. I would also be remiss if I didn't mention my daughter and son-in-law in Utah who served as Cubmasters for one of the biggest packs known to man.

The picture? My son and his two buddies who all got their Eagle award. Michael started these three off as their eleven-year-old Scout leader. The dad of the young man on the left then served as their Scoutmaster. And the mom of the one on the right was in charge of advancements for our troop for many years and made sure these guys were on track right up through their Eagle board of reviews. What a great set of young men. 

The Scouting program touches many lives, not just the ones who attain the highest award. But once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's good to know that there are men out there who can administer first aid, survive in the wild, practice water safety and other cool stuff. It's also good to know that they understand what citizenship, honor and integrity is all about.

So happy birthday, BSA. You deserved a Doodle, for sure.

No comments: