Friday, March 19, 2010

Don't Mess with Pennsylvania

This is my pretty little church house. I had to go early this morning to meet the organ repairman. On the way into the parking lot, I noticed a couple of plastic drink bottles in the driveway. I figured I would pick them up on the way out.

After the repair was done, I headed out, stopping to throw the drink bottles in the back of my Outback. Of course, once you pick up a few pieces of litter you see a few more. There were tons of them under the shrubs at the front of the driveway. And strangely, these drink bottles even though they were for orange juice and water and other light colored stuff had some kind of brown liquid in them. At first I thought it was cola, then ants, but then decided it looked like some kind of plant matter. You are already laughing at me. I can hear you out there. But I don't pick up a lot of litter because of my back.  So it took naive little me a few minutes of picking this stuff up to realize that a lovely person or persons had emptied what I hope was a winter's worth of spit and tobacco in front of my church building. It was disgusting.

On the way home I noticed tons more litter. When you're looking for something, you can usually find it. I guess once the snow melted, the litter was revealed.

The "Don't Mess With Texas" campaign is twenty years old. Can you believe it? I think it has really helped. It's just the kind of attitudinal slogan to get Texans fighting mad. But Pennsylvanians obviously need one too. Something like "Keep Pennsylvania Pristine," "William Penn Wants You," or "Hey Youse, Keep it Clean!" I doubt they'll find one as cool as "Don't Mess With Texas" but something obviously needs to be done.

2 comments:

Brad said...

No comment regarding the apparent donut burnout in the parking lot in the photo?

Susan said...

There's a lot more of those since that photo was taken. It's just a popular place. What can I say?