Thursday, March 11, 2010

Woo-Hoo! I'm published again!

Wish I could show you the whole article but there are things called copyrights. And let me say right now that the content of these photos is copyrighted by Carus Publications.

This is the March issue of Appleseeds. The cutest thing about this issue is that they have inserted kids' poems throughout. If your elementary school library subscribes or if your local library subscribes, you can check it out. I have two articles in this issue. You may not be familiar with Appleseeds but you have probably heard of some of the other magazines published by Carus. Cricket and Cobblestone are both Carus publications.

The first article is called "Poetry is All Around You" and the second is called "Slam that Poem." The first one is self-explanatory but the second one is about my friend, Joaquin Zihuatenejo, who is quickly becoming the best-known slam poet in the world. The really exciting thing about publishing in children's magazines is that even though the pay is not what a book might bring in, you will be read by thousands of children. And the articles are archived in many databases so for children doing research, I'm an expert on poetry for internet eternity.

I'm pretty pumped. This is a big break-in and I'm happy the artwork and the articles came out so well. This is somewhat ironic since I know one thousand times less about poetry than my better half. But them's the breaks. He has to work really hard for a living and writing articles for children's mags does not bring in the kind of salary he does. So I get to have the fun and he pays the bills.

I'm so happy I might even break into verse myself. (If I do, I definitely won't inflict this upon you.)

No comments: