Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Happy Holidays!

Which holidays you ask? In the Wilkes-Barre area, it doesn't matter! Any holiday will do!

Perhaps I have already blogged about the fact that folks don't take down their Christmas decorations here. On the way home from my Boy Scout good deed of the week, I decided to see how many holiday decorations I could spot. Let me put this in perspective. Yesterday was March 2nd and a very temperate 45 degrees. Where I grew up in Louisiana, March was the month when you started thinking about which weekend you could start waterskiing.

And up here in Wilkes-Barre land, Christmas was everywhere. Fake poinsettias in gardens, red and green lights strung on porches, Christmas wreaths on doors. However, this does not stop the flow of holiday decorations. First, the obvious St. Patrick's Day ones. There are lots of Irish around here and the Scranton St. Patrick's Day parade is a huge deal. There's a smaller parade here in Wilkes-Barre as well. So I saw lots of sparkly green shamrocks and even a house decorated with orange white and green banners-a political as well as a holiday statement. Then I spotted a house with an Easter wreath complete with colored eggs.

I was on a roll. (Excuse the pun.) Even though it's been a few weeks, I decided to look for Valentine's Day and hit the jackpot. I found a house that had both Christmas and Valentine's Day decorations on it. Then I got distracted. I hadn't been this route for a while and noticed that the huge lake at Frances Slocum park was still completely iced over. I spotted a guy sitting in the middle of the lake in the very temperate weather, ice fishing. 

I thought I had maxed out the decorations but as I was turning down a road that leads to our church building, I spotted it. The prize of the day.  An autumn scarecrow, probably put up before Halloween!

Just minutes from the house, I spotted some red white and blue sparkly decorations on a door post. I know that patriotism knows no season, but maybe they are just getting a jump on the Fourth of July?

No comments: