Monday, February 9, 2009

Valentine's Day--Not just for grownups



I loved Valentine's Day when I was a kid, and I still do. Sometimes we think of V-Day in terms of sweethearts, but I spent far more time with my kids doing Valentine's Day stuff than I ever did with Michael. At home we did tons of activities: making treats (I think I have five different heart-shaped cookie cutters), helping with classroom Valentines, making homemade Valentines for family members and even decorating a little. And I wasn't wild about the disruptions, but Valentine's Day at the high school was interesting too with carnation deliveries and fun activities in class. The upper levels were not allowed to speak English as they colored and did puzzles and watched my dumb Rugrags (Razmoquet) Valentine video I bought in Quebec. A few years we even sent Valentines to the upper level German classes. It was one of my favorite days of the year.

So here I am in PA with no kids. Sad, huh? But I've actually had a blast already making handmade Valentines. The Prague ones had to be made especially early. I mailed the Utah ones today and the Texas ones go out tomorrow. Who knows if any of them will arrive on time? But I sure had fun. I love my box of 64 crayons. It's mauvelous!

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Yeah, I was just thinking that I need to buy some heart candies, make cookies ... Here they've adopted Valentine's Day a little bit, but only for sweethearts, not kids. Last year the guy laughed so hard when I wanted 3 gingerbread hearts. He teased me about having three boyfriends.