Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Birthday cake and good books





Just like the car that won't act up when you take it to the mechanic's shop, Michael's cake wouldn't act up this year. I was hoping for a really funny picture to post but the fudge frosting actually came out perfect this year. One of only three or four times it has done so in the past thirty or so years. I know I've been making the cake since 1973 at least because I remember it drooling all over the floor in the Mayflower apartments in Iowa City. I'm not really complaining. He has enjoyed it thoroughly and I have even found that I can have a small, small sliver each night without waking up with a migraine at 3:00 A.M.

People have been posting a list of one hundred books on Facebook. Supposedly some list made up by the BBC. It was an interesting list wherever it came from. I picked a few off the list to look up at the library. We found a couple. Michael just finished Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks and loved it. I have really enjoyed the first 900 pages of A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. Only four hundred more pages to go. Truly, you have to block out some time to read this novel. Because if you wait too long between reading sessions, you lose the thread and can't keep the characters straight. But I feel like I'm getting the whole culture of India in the 1950's in one book.

No comments: