Sunday, March 1, 2009

How would I live without Skype?

Our Czech family just called for Michael's birthday and we got to see Baby E, M, V and of course, MF and N. Awesome. I don't know how I'd manage if I couldn't see and talk to those kids once in a while. Sometimes MF and I get to talk after the kids are asleep and that is wonderful too.

We just talked about retirement a bit and I remarked how good it would be if I could squeeze in a few years more service in Texas before I retired as a schoolteacher. I would get a lot more per month. I asked Michael if he had thought about staying here or moving somewhere else when we retire. He said that he likes it here but that other than apples in the fall, he hasn't found one thing here that doesn't cost more than it does in Denton, Texas. How true. I just hadn't realized it, I guess. The grocery store prices still stun me and our heating bills in the winter are pretty steep. And real estate is so much higher. Plus there's state income tax to deal with. So even if we wanted to stay, we probably couldn't afford it. We would have a much higher standard of living back in good old Texas. Or Louisiana, or Oklahoma or Arkansas for that matter. And it's not like we weren't happy in Texas. Some decisions are just made for you, I guess.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Nathan asked V the other day where she's from and she said "Texas!" Never mind that she's been there all of twice in her life. It's a nice place :) And besides, we hope you grow to be very old, too old to worry about slipping on ice all winter. Retire in the warmth, it's what everyone else does. Ask Arizona and Florida.