Monday, March 16, 2009

Springtime and music





It's official. Spring has sprung. There are a few crocuses and one little snowdrop blooming in our yard. I moved here in April of last year so I know there are lots more lovely flowers which will pop up in our yard this season. I also know it won't be that warm. So I'm not putting away any sweaters yet.

The NEPA philharmonic was a nice evening. The trumpet player from the Pittsburgh Symphony was as good as we expected him to be. The Pittsburgh brass section is legendary. And I felt the orchestra did a really good job accompanying him on the Hummel. The Beethoven 7th was well done too. One of my music teachers used to say that Mozart was the hardest thing of all to play because it was so transparent. I think she's right because the Mozart symphony was the least well done. The Kirby center is this amazing venue built in the late 30's. I think my dad probably just missed it.

But I've been kind of spoiled listening to the Dallas Symphony and the UNT symphony. Let's think about the UNT symphony. These kids are the best of the best and are on their way into the music world as teachers and performers. No wonder it's an amazing experience to hear them. And I've always wondered how you could get a whole lot better than the Dallas Symphony. I've been to concerts in the Meyerson where the music was so good it was life-changing. I always wondered if I would be able to detect any difference between them and the biggest names of them all. Now I may get to find out if there is indeed a difference between the Dallas Symphony and a handful of legendary orchestras. Living so close to Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, I hope I will be able to hear some of these groups. Of course, our first big orchestra will have to be Philadelphia because Michael has a thing for their tuba player. Her name is Carol Yantsch. Check out her website here.

No comments: