Monday, February 2, 2009

So what did Michael give me?


I know you've all been waiting with bated breath to see what Michael got us for our anniversary. (Well, I was waiting with bated breath anyway.) He actually gave me a present of my own. He started a tradition by giving me a pair of earrings for our first grandchild and promised a pair for all upcoming numbers. When they started coming very quickly I realized that a more realistic goal would be to get a pair for every granddaughter. Granddaughter number three is now represented by sparkly gold hoops given on a very romantic occasion in a very romantic restaurant since her name is so romantic. And I'll think of her every time I wear them. We'll wait a bit to see what granddaughter four is like before I get a pair to wear in her honor.

The present he'd bought for both of us was a set of matching hiking poles. We loved watching people use these in Switzerland when we went a few years ago. I liked the idea of using two poles for balance and stability. And since Northeast PA is the land of beautiful hikes, it is a great present. Unfortunately, we're doing a little bit of gift of the magi right now. I have sciatica from shoveling snow and he fell trying to get his car out of an icy snowbank. So he's pulled some back muscles and is walking bent on a diagonal. Thus, we did not get to go out and try out our poles on Saturday. But we will go as soon as possible. We may, however, have to purchase special snow baskets for the bottom of our poles as it is snowing heavily as I type.

Michael is fascinated by the poles because they're very high-tech. They're made by Leki, a German company, and they're beautiful and well-engineered. They only weigh a few ounces and telescope so that they fit in a small backpack and can be packed in a suitcase for a trip back to Switzerland! I am fascinated by clear, running water and there are hundreds of streams and waterfalls to see around here. I was never much interested in hiking in Texas. Wonder why? Could it be that brown, algae-covered water covered with mosquitoes isn't my ideal? But while we're here, I plan to see as much of the beautiful outdoors as possible. And, of course, a return to the Alps is definitely on the agenda.

I think he did great and I can see why he was so excited about them. And it's a totally appropriate Pennsylvania present. My poles are designed for women and are Diva models. So watch out PA, the hiking diva is coming!

No comments: