Friday, January 15, 2010

I Heart My Cell Phone


Okay, what does this gorgeous polar bear have to do with my cell phone? Not much. I just liked the photo. And it's cold here. And as our 39th anniversary approaches, it's nice to remember that 35th anniversary trip to France we took. For our 40th, I've already asked the kids to find a way for us to all be together at one time. At any time during the year. In any place. Life is tough when your family lives spread out across two continents.

My cell phone? Oh yeah. Back to the cell phone. I needed to get new heels for my leather dress boots. Michael had the Garmin (GPS) that day. So I used Google maps to find the shoe repair shop. First problem? The address was listed as in Kingston on Lackawanna Ave. Now there is no Lackawanna Ave in Kingston, but there is a Lackawanna Lane. But Google maps brought up a Lackawanna Ave in Swoyersville. So I decided to go with the address in Swoyersville because somewhere on the web I found an address for this little shop that mentioned the corner of Dennison and Lackawanna. This matched up with Swoyersville. This has happened to me several times since I've been here. The name of the town doesn't match up with the address. I always, always ask for a zip code when asking for directions as this helps my GPS narrow down my choices.

I follow all the directions and get to the corner of Dennison and Lackawanna in Swoyersville and there's nothing. On three corners some family homes and on the fourth corner a park. So I turn around and head back to Kingston. But I thought, why not call the guy? I had already talked to him about when he was open. So here comes the cell phone part of the story! I pulled into a Turkey Hill  (our local version of gas station--also known for their ice cream). I called him and he said he was at the corner of Dennison and Lackawanna. I asked for a little bit more info! (I had already been there!) He said it was on the left right after the railroad tracks. I was skeptical but decided to try it again. I really needed new heels for my boots and this was the only shoe repair shop I could find within twenty-five miles. I retrace my steps and go down Dennison Street, cross the railroad tracks and look to my left. Far off the road is a tiny building. I had asked if there was a sign. He said, "Uh, yeah." This sign is just tacked to a pole and has peeling paint. You can hardly read it. And what about that other intersection I had visited, you ask? That was Dennison and North Lackawanna, a block down the road. How silly of me! Again, I love my cell phone. Thanks to my cell phone, I found it.

I can't believe how confusing it is here. And keep in mind that this shoe shop was only 7.4 miles from my house and I passed through Trucksville, Luzerne, Pringle, Kingston and Forty Fort to get there. That's nine towns if you include mine and his.

Photo copyright: Susan  Denney. Taken at Musee d'Orsay, Paris. "L'ours blanc" by Pompon.

1 comment:

Brad said...

You should visit the tailor shop in Kingston on Wyoming Ave. They only speak Russian there and will try to rent you a room in the back of their shop. At least they did to me... on second thought, I have heard that the guy who runs it (Nikolai, I think is his name) is kind of too hands-on with the women when he does his measurements, so maybe you should skip it.