Friday, January 1, 2010

Thoughts on the New Year--Knocking on Wood

Photo credit: Michael Denney. All rights reserved.
 
Facing a new year used to be filled with anticipation, joy and a renewed sense of commitment. Alas, I'm afraid that I approach 2010 with a bit of trepidation. Maybe it's because I feel a bit like this fellow washing windows in New York City. If I were sure there were as many migraines to get through this coming year as there were last, I could be a little daunted. I could be facing a lot of mornings that start with headache meds. And maybe some of you look into the future and see an endless string of mind numbing repetitive tasks. (I did name this blog after doing the dishes, didn't I?) But we must move forward with hope.
 
But in spite of the challenges, 2009 was very good to me. In fact, I'm feeling a little superstitious. My folks, children and grandchildren are all in good health, I adore Michael who loves me and who has a good job--a wow combination, and I am back on my feet after a bad bout with sciatica. We live in a gorgeous place with wonderful, amazing places to visit all around us. I've spent a lot of time with family this year even though they all live far away. In fact, I feel like tap dancing on wood. If you're not familiar with the old superstition "knock on wood," check out this article on Wikipedia. So many things have been going great that I hesitate to speak these things out loud. 

That being said, I need to at least pay lip service to the hopes for a better year than last. And I think the best way to accomplish this would be for me to accomplish more personally. So here's the list and I hope you'll hold my feet to the fire if you notice that I'm not making enough progress this year. Note that these are not true goals. A goal has to be written down, specific and attainable. If you haven't read a book by David Bach, I recommend him on goal setting. I will be setting down the actual goals sometime today. But these are the general areas which need improvement.

1. For once, for certain and forever, I need to be a writer and start publishing. There's no reason outside of my own motivation why I can't do this.
2. I need to get in shape. Totally. First thing will be to lose ten pounds. I am sick and tired of choosing my clothing based on what fits any particular day. Dang!
3. I need more income. (See number one.) But the pattern shop has also brought in some dough and I love running it. 
4. Genealogy. I really need to get organized in that area. My cousin has done loads and loads of research, but I need to do my part since I live here where so much of my family history happened.
5. Get my house in order. Literally. We still haven't really moved in. Pictures aren't hung yet, and I have projects that need completing. I've had the machine that will turn our videotapes into digital files for quite a while but haven't even downloaded the software onto my computer.
6. Practice. The piano, the organ, the violin, writing, sewing, speaking French, garbling Spanish, working New York Times crosswords in pen. I have a lot of skills which have gotten rusty. 
7. Read my scriptures more diligently. Sorry I can't funny this one up. I'm serious about this. 

There's more which I won't bore you with. 

I wish you all a Happy New 2010. I wish for you some of the things you want and a lot more of the serendipitous stuff that really makes life worth living.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know you love to write. So do I. I've been a storyteller since I could talk and a writer since I began learning my letters. What do you like to write about? I mostly write about fantasy and disability. Tell me when your books come out and I will buy them!

Susan said...

I write for children. And I often write nonfiction which appears in magazines rather than books. I have some articles coming up in national magazines this spring. I'll give you a heads up so you can look them up online or perhaps read them at the library.