Thursday, November 6, 2008

Benefits of an economic downturn

Wow, traveling by airplane is a whole new experience with the economic downturn. I had empty seats by me on all the flights I took. I even had three seats to myself on the long flight from Phoenix to Philly. I stretched out and slept for hours. This won't last. Eventually the airlines will begin canceling flights. But if you've been avoiding flying because of overcrowding, now is the time to go.

Shopping is much easier now since the malls are empty. And everything is on sale. If you have money right now, you can definitely pick up bargains. Of course, there's always the specter of losing your job. So only those who are very secure would feel confident enough to go out and buy a lot of stuff.

Maybe we will go back to some old-fashioned thrift and saving. Perhaps women won't be judged on what kind of purse they're carrying. Plus, this desire to save may go along well with the green movement and a desire to reuse and recycle. The handmade Christmas gift might make a comeback!

No comments: