Monday, October 19, 2009

150th Anniversary





Michael played in a concert yesterday, October 18th, with the Hazleton Liberty Band, celebrating its 150th anniversary. The concert began at the exact time the band was formed 150 years ago. They have all the records for the band (in the beginning in German) and have played continuously since that time. They enlisted as a group two years after they formed and served in the Civil War. This band still has the instruments that went to war.

It was really fun to see these folks celebrate a really old tradition in their town. Hazleton is south of us but still in the same county. They played the Hazleton Liberty Band March which was written for them by one of their directors, lots of patriotic tunes, a quickstep and a polka (Michael was very important to that number) and show tunes, movie tunes and even a cartoon medley. The crowd was rather elderly so the Animaniacs theme song was totally unknown to most of them. But they grooved on the Flintstones. I ended up being the official photographer. Somehow the newspaper missed the event. The last number was Auld Lang Syne which was played at Appomattox at the surrender. This band may have been the group which played it. They were definitely in attendance that day. In any case, a very historic and entertaining evening. And Michael played beautifully. He was oompah-perfect.

On another topic altogether, I'm wishing my darling daughter G a happy birthday today. She's come a long way since the days when she wore her favorite "I'm Three" barrettes. But she's still a cute little number.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Yay! Congrats to Grandpa Bond and all the band members. I haven't posted a comment in a while, but I always check in. Glad to hear about all your family history research. And I'd love a dress made from that old pattern you found for my little girls. I have distinct memories of how pretty I felt in my dress with the triangle pockets!

Susan said...

I'll hope to get the dress finished before V is too big for it. I'll make it longer in the hopes she won't outgrow it before I get it to you. You get to hem it.