Monday, October 5, 2009

Denton High School and other places

I went to Denton High School for lunch today. It was as if I had never left. Old friends have remained true and faithful. However, Denton High has not stayed the same. It's vast. They've added a whole new wing at the end of what we used to call the freshman or "West" wing. And they're adding another whole building. They've also completed a huge new field house. How could they do that so quickly? I got to see oodles of great folks and it was wonderful to see a few of my former students. The last batch I taught as freshmen are now seniors so I actually recognized a few faces.

I also went out to lunch with an old friend. That was so much fun. I had coconut cream pie. It's pretty hard to find a good piece of pie in Wilkes-Barre. This was the real thing with homemade custard and honest-to-goodness homemade pie crust. We had such a lovely time. Our husbands' careers are similar and we both have unmarried children. There was a lot to talk about. I realized that although the people in Wilkes-Barre are amazingly great, I haven't had the opportunity to develop those close friendships like I had in Denton. Tomorrow I get to see more old friends and tonight dinner with the children. They get the speech. For the unitiated, whenever one of our children did something remarkable or when they made straight A's we took them out and treated them to a meal or ice cream. There was always a speech though. We told them how proud we were of them. So tonight's speech will feature some mighty good grades, a scholarship or two and other accomplishments. Fun, fun, fun. And to my other two, I'm sorry I can't take you out too because you both deserve a good speech as well.

No comments: