Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Missing friends


I haven't posted a picture in a while. This one Michael took at Valley Forge of Washington's headquarters. The stone exterior and even the interior wood are still intact. How cool is that? The picture has nothing to do with today's post!

I spoke to two special friends today from Texas and it was so good to talk to them. I miss so many things like the sunshiney weather, the Mexican food, concerts at UNT, the Dallas Opera, the grocery stores, my writers' group and my old house. But most of all I miss the people I love in the Denton area i.e. my boy, my friends, children of friends and my former students (some of whom have become friends). I used to see my students everywhere--at restaurants, at the grocery store, at the mall and even at the car parts places. Ask Michael. He just got used to it and even found it amusing that we would be at a restaurant and someone would come over yelling "Madame D.." and I would rack my brain to remember their name before they got to my table. He definitely had to play the role of "Mr. Mme D..."

Yesterday I went on a quick run to the grocery store without earrings. This has always been my number one taboo. Going out of the house without makeup is okay in an emergency but earrings are essential. So if I went to the grocery store yesterday without earrings, it's because I knew that I wouldn't see anyone I knew even though I went to the store that's only five minutes away from my house. So sad! Two things need to happen here. One) I need to make more friends and I really am trying to do that. Two) Discipline must be maintained. If earrings were de rigueur in Denton, then they are here too.

No comments: