Monday, April 21, 2008

Incommunicado

I've been incommunicado for days and days. Not only did we move into a house with no furniture, I didn't have a car either as Michael's wasn't working and the Lexus died on the way to closing. So for a week, I sat in the house and leaned on the wall or sat on the steps. A neighbor lady came in to look at the new floors and felt sorry for us and brought over some folding chairs.

Lots of things have happened this week. I'll fill in later. For now, it's enough to know that I've moved from the largest kitchen of my life into the smallest. What am I going to do with all my stuff? You remember that scene in Cinderella where the stepsister tries to get her foot in the glass slipper and she only has her toe in? That would be us right now. We are in for some serious downsizing.

It is great to have a bed. Not my own bed, mind you. Our box springs wouldn't make the corner of the stairwell. So we're sleeping on the bunks until we can get a split queen size set of box springs. Didn't know they made such a thing. But they do here for all the small old houses with narrow staircases.

The movers were definitely of the Moe, Larry and Curly school. One guy fell off the truck twice! (With our stuff, of course!) They were ancient movers. We're thinking they're members of the Moving Van Teamsters or something and can't be fired. Watching them manhandle our stuff was full of nailbiting and near death experiences.

No comments: