Friday, April 11, 2008

Problems to the last

We were supposed to close at 2:30 today but of course, there were problems. For one thing, the amount we were supposed to come up with for closing was 1700 dollars more than we expected. So we got that straightened out within minutes of the closing time. Five minutes before we were supposed to begin, I got a call from Michael. The Lexus he was driving had just quit. I had to empty out my baby car (which was full of stuff I was going to take to the new house after closing--mostly embarassing dirty clothes) and go pick him up.

Everyone was so kind in spite of our car troubles and woes with the mortgage company and relo company and we have officially bought a new home. We continue to be impressed by the graciousness of everyone here in PA.

I will say this. I am thoroughly sick of green and brown. When you travel, you know how you kind of go with one color scheme so that all the clothes mix and match? Well, most of the clothes I packed had green or brown in them. Who knew I'd be wearing the same clothes over and over from March 19th to April 18th? Michael is determined to give his winter jacket (also green) to Goodwill as he has been wearing it every day for three months. He says someone will get a good jacket. He's been trying without success to wear it out for three years now.

Now begins the even greater adventure of living in a house with no furniture for a week. We have some clothes, two towels and four washcloths, a single air mattress and a folding camp chair. No bedding and no pillows. Baths only since we have no shower curtain. Also, no way to heat food up! No pots and pans, no plates or cutlery, and no microwave. We will buy a microwave but the other stuff I can't bring myself to buy since we have more than enough of all of it in storage in Scranton. Since the fridge came with the house, I can always eat ice cream, I guess. Br-r-r-r! It's still cold here and is supposed to snow one day next week.

I've read every single book we have with us so I'm hoping I have enough credentials to get a library card on Saturday. I have to be in the house all day Monday and Tuesday because I have to be there when the water, electric, gas and phone guys (or gals) show up. On Wednesday and Thursday, I won't be tied to the house and can go hang out somewhere that preferably has comfy chairs.

No comments: