Monday, December 29, 2008

Awesome Christmas present

One silver lining about feeling bad during Christmas was that one of my presents came in really handy. Michael gave me the whole set of The Thin Man movies with Myrna Loy and William Powell. If you have to be cooped up, I can't think of a better duo to be spending time with. We realized that we had never even seen the first of the series, "The Thin Man" and only pieces of the next two. We've decided to wait a while before watching number four and five. We need to save some entertainment for the rest of the long winter. Those movies haven't aged a bit. They're still just as lively and charming as they were when brand new.

They must be a bit of a culture shock to the younger generation though. In one scene, there's about fifty people and one man is on the telephone and another interrupts him to make an important call because, of course, it's the only phone line in the room. You have to wonder how many phone lines there would be available in an roomful of people today. Also, the man making the original call asks for permission to call his mother and then proceeds to call San Francisco from New York. This is supposed to be a big joke as the charges would have been enormous back in the day. I remember my dad calling his parents on Christmas Day and Mother's Day and that it was a very big deal. He'd place the call early in the morning and the operator would call back in the afternoon when there was a connection available.

I do appreciate the ease and cheapness of communication today. It's made this move much easier knowing that I can pick up the phone whenever I want to and call Texas, Utah or even the Czech Republic. I only have to worry about who's awake when.

No comments: