Wednesday, December 31, 2008

First Annual Vaisselle Awards--2008


Photo credit: terren in Virginia on Flickr.

First of all, you all know you deserve a trophy. Every reader of this blog has done something praiseworthy, noble and outstanding this year. But in the interest of time and space, I'll have to limit the awards this year to my family. Nepotism raised to the extreme. Drum roll, please!

The "I Know What I Want to Be When I Grow Up" award goes to N, my oldest, who, unlike most of us, finally knows what she wants to be when she grows up and has gotten awards and entrance into grad school to prove it. Go Red!

The "Supportive Spouse" award goes to T, her husband, for going along with this new plan and agreeing to move and renovate a whole house to make it work. Whoo-hoo!

The "Don't Worry, Be Happy" award goes to M, my second, for having a baby, starting the whole family blog trend, raising kids all week without a husband, moving, traveling around the world with two toddlers and managing quite a few other stressful things this year with a calm smile on her lovely face. You rock!

The "Super Dad" award goes to N, her husband, for going beyond the call of duty to spend quality time with his kids. This includes teaching a four-year-old to fly fish. Awesome!

The "Multitasking" award goes to G, my third, for running the world's biggest Cub Pack, creating some of the world's funniest blog posts, starting her own business, ramping up her photography skills, learning to make her own patterns, taking care of her family which includes four children six and under, a husband, a cat and a dog, and making homemade Christmas presents in just one year. Amazing!

The "I Want to Live Forever" award goes to her husband, D, for getting his cholesterol checked and then amazingly lowering it with a good diet and exercising. A winner!

The "Mean Green" award to my son, Z, for building his own truck and realizing that driving a practical and energy-efficient vehicle is almost as cool as being turbocharged. Vroom, vroom!

To Michael, my sweetie, the "Norman Vincent Peale Power of Positive Thinking" award for consistently trying to see the positive side of every aspect of our gut-wrenching move and life changes this year. Couldn't have done it without you!

To my parents, the "Aging Gracefully" award for getting through a tough year with good humor, intelligence, wisdom and common sense. You rule!

Although many other extended family members deserve kudos, I must honor my cousin, J, with the "Survivor" award for looking cancer in the face and staring it down. Think pink!

And to me, (it's my blog--you didn't expect me to leave myself out, did you?) the "Thinking Outside and Inside the Box" award for getting one house so ready to sell that it got an offer the very first day it was on the market and for unpacking and setting up another house so that we manage to live comfortably with only one big closet, a one-car garage, only one living area, a one-drawer kitchen and only one and a half baths. Go me!

To the rest of you, pat yourselves on the back. It's been a great year and I wish I could honor you all. But I do wish you a 2009 that's filled with accomplishment, satisfaction and, above all, joy. To quote Ginger Rogers in "Bachelor Mother", "Appee Neu Jeer!"

No comments: