Monday, December 8, 2008

Church canceled?

Yesterday morning, there was only one other car in the church parking lot when I arrived. I couldn't figure it out. I wasn't early for my meeting but just right on time. Where were the others? I walked around the building in my snow boots looking for an open door since someone else was obviously there. My snow boots which I was wearing for the first time leave a cute hobnail pattern and I was having fun crunching along trying to see which door was open. As I walked I noticed tracks and realized that a deer had walked the entire perimeter of the church in the wee hours. Eating shrubs I guess. So there were my footprints and the deer's but that was all. No one else's and no open doors either. It occurred to me that maybe church was canceled since the parking lot was over an inch deep in snow that had fallen in the night. Some of our church members live even higher up in the mountains than I do so they must have had lots more snow. In Denton, Texas they would have at least considered canceling with that kind of road conditions.

By the time I got back to my car another car drove up and then another. I realized three things. One is, you don't cancel church for a little snow around here. Almost all the roads had been plowed and sanded in the short distance I had to drive to church. The other is that the next door neighbors to the church must be using our lot for additional parking for their Beemer. The third is that I should consider whether arriving on time for my 8:15 meeting is worth it since I seem to be the only one who gets there on time.

No comments: