Monday, December 22, 2008

Peanut butter fudge

I could talk about the fact that I'm coughing and sick and that the temperature was 6 when I got up this morning (at 9:45.) But that would be way boring. Instead I'll post the peanut butter fudge recipe I promised. I found it on allrecipes.com. Have you seen this site? The comments are hilarious. "For the salad, I substituted canned spinach for fresh, I used Velveeta instead of feta and I added dill pickles instead of Calamata olives. I don't know what went wrong. It was really yucky!" Anyway, that was beside the point.I didn't follow the actual recipe because no one does! The recipe is called Easiest Peanut Butter Fudge there and, of course, everyone comments and no one follows the recipe. Here is the recipe as I made it based on a lot of the comments:

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes (I probably boiled mine a little longer but I tested it and it still wasn't soft ball stage), stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Pour over confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth; pour into an 8x8 inch dish. Chill until firm and cut into squares.

I used unsalted butter and evap milk but would have used whole milk if I had had it. I beat it in the Kitchenaid. I put the confectioner's sugar in the Kitchenaid bowl and poured the hot mixture on top. If your confectioner's sugar was the least bit lumpy you would want to sift it. I used a really low speed to beat it. Then I got a phone call. When I got back it looked great. Unfortunately, for me, those are the best fudge instructions I can give. My fudge is always too stiff or too runny. This time it was too stiff but delicious. One of you will have to volunteer to call me the next time I make it.

Since I can't have real fudge because chocolate gives me migraines, this was an incredible substitute. Michael's suggestion. Great idea, honey!

I'm coughing and am not up to much else so I'll probably post again later today with Michael's pix of our trip to New York City on Saturday! Yes, I finally got there and the pneumonia I have today was totally worth it.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I think the comments on allrecipes are very funny, too. I guess lots of people think they're better chefs than the recipe authors. Or they just use whatever they've got around the house (this is my move).