Thursday, July 10, 2008

Farmer's market



My neighbors took me to the Farmer's Market in downtown Wilkes-Barre today. They had cool stuff that I'd never seen at an outdoor market. The Amish were there with breads and cookies (I succumbed to the raisin bread--it was delicious). And there were umpteen jillion stands with fresh cherries, lettuce and all sorts of other stuff that doesn't grow in Texas. I ended up buying yellow squash and new potatoes because they were familiar. But I also bought Rainier cherries and raspberries which I had never been able to buy at a farmer's market before. So dinner tonight was fruit and the very creamy cottage cheese they like here. I love this picture because there's a raspberry with a stem on it, something I have never seen before.

So in all of this bounty, what did I miss? Tomatoes. Believe it or not, on July 10th it's too early for tomatoes here. The one bummer in a totally upbeat experience.

No comments: