Friday, July 18, 2008

Watering can for the piano

In Pennsylvania, you need to have a piano dehumidifier and a humidifier. In the winter, your piano will be too dry, in the summer it will be too damp. They actually make a gizmo that will do both. It's called the Piano Lifesaver System by Dampp-Chaser. I had one installed today. Pictures to follow tomorrow. The piano technician fitted out my piano with tubes, wires, etc. and all I have to do is fill the reservoir with water when the red light on a small panel under the keyboard starts blinking. Since the wood panel of my Yamaha has a really tight fit underneath the fingerboard, he had to push up the waterhose through the top of the piano. This means that instead of filling a hose that clips to the bottom of the keyboard, we have to fill the thing by flipping up the top of the piano and pouring cups and cups of water into a hose that feeds down into the innards of my piano via a watering can with a tiny spout. I will be so nervous the first time I do that. The dehumidifier works by a heated bar that runs across the piano right about where my knees are when I'm seated at the piano. I already sweat buckets when I play because the piano light generates a fair amount of heat in the un-airconditioned living room. Nice! It's hard to believe that filling up the piano with water and then heating it up with a 50 watt bar is good for it. But, unbelievably, the piano sounds better already and he only installed it a few hours ago. I asked Michael if it was my imagination and he said, no, it sounded better to him too. This piano technician also installed the system in the grand piano at our church building. That Kawai is the best in tune of any church grand I've ever played. Here's to something that works even if it does cost a bunch of money! Hip, hip hooray.

No comments: