Monday, July 28, 2008

Waiting for grandchildren



This shot is poignant, I think. The Play-Doh set is just waiting for little ones to come and play. This won't happen very often while we live here. But we will have little ones in just a few days. The first boxes have started to arrive--a sure sign my European daughter and her family are on their way. There are so many things she prefers to buy here so the postman and UPS man are kept busy for the days preceding her visits.

I still have lots to do but am so looking forward to visitors. I talked with my son today and I'm looking forward to seeing him too. And I talked to my mom of course. Happy Birthday Momma! She said today she was 57. Probably wishful thinking on her part. She certainly acts and thinks thirty years younger than she is. Her phone was ringing off the hook which makes me happy.

Yesterday a dear friend called from Denton and it was great to hear how wonderfully her family is doing. It was also great to have her catch me up a little on what's going on down there. I love my new ward but don't have any close friends yet. Just acquaintances really. I only see people for a few minutes at a time in the halls. It takes time to develop friendships and I just haven't been here long enough. This is not to say that I wouldn't find a hundred people lined up and willing to help out if Michael and I needed help while we're here. Latter-day Saints all over the world are like that, I think. The one young lady at church I know the best is from Longview, Texas. She's also the choir director. We seem to have a lot in common. Wonder why? Michael likes to call her Tex. She and her husband are charming and I got to go see their beautiful home last night on a home teaching visit with Michael.

Tonight we'll have blackeyed peas, rice, corn, fresh tomatoes and greens. The blackeyed peas have to come out of a can since they don't seem to eat them or grow them here. But the corn, tomatoes and greens will be from the farmers' market. I'm not really homesick, but sometimes you just have to eat like home.

No comments: