Wednesday, July 30, 2008

He is The Terminator


Michael is the Terminator. At the very least, he should be speaking with a Schwarzenegger accent. For the past few weeks, he's been getting up at four o'clock a few days a week to go to work so that he can talk with technicians in Austria about the A-Frame he bought from them. This morning I was already awake when his phone alarm rang at four and I've been up reading ever since. I got to the computer this morning thinking it was late and noticed that it's still only 6:57 A.M. Swell. Maybe I'll take a nap after the piano tuning at one. I have three squeaky keys in spite of the dehumidifier we installed. I hope he can fix them as well as make the piano sound better. I've got to get it in shape before my piano duet partner arrives from Prague!

I hope he isn't working so many hours in the winter. Otherwise, he'll never see the house (or me!)in daylight since we live so far north and the days will be so short. Here's the comparison with Texas. Today we will have 15 hours and 27 minutes of sunshine. In Dallas, Texas there will be 14 hours and 41 minutes of sunlight. That's almost an hour more here. But six months from now our day will be 10 hours and 56 minutes long and in Dallas, Texas it will be 11 hours and 24 minutes long. That's a big difference which I will notice more in the winter than I do now.

Just for fun, here's how the amount of daylight for the family compares today:

NS/ZT Austin 14:30
ZL Denton 14:41
GL/DS Provo 15:21
ML/SJ Wilkes-Barre 15:27
MF/NL Prague 16:37

More than two hours difference. Weird, huh? I looked up these unofficial times on a cool website called Gaisma. The website is www.gaisma.com.

The picture is for my grandson, S. He loves Super Why on PBS and maybe he'll like this sculpture named "Read Reader" from the Texas Tech campus in Lubbock. I took the picture in glorious Texas sunshine.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Of course, we get the biggest difference. We're so glad that the days are getting longer here already -- it's so hard for the kids to sleep well when it's still light at bedtime and already full daylight when they get up. Could be worse, Nathan's in Scandinavia this week.

Susan said...

Dad's always been a "get up when the sun comes up" kind of guy. So when he went to Alaska for a fishing trip, the sun came up at about 4 and didn't set until after midnight. He came home exhausted!