Thursday, July 31, 2008

I am not making this up



I love that line by Dave Barry. "I am not making this up." That's the way I feel about the clipping. I asked myself, is there really such a thing as a polka mass? After doing a little research, the answer is yes. Although I'm not ready for the polka mass, I'm sorely tempted to attend the festival even though I'm not big on kielbasa. Sounds like a great time. Every weekend around here, churches of all denominations offer festivals, chicken barbecues, and bake sales. It seems to be their standard way to raising funds.

Wonder if they could book my favorite nuclear polka band, Brave Combo? If you really want to experience this, check out the CD "Songs and Hymns from the Original Polka Mass" on iTunes. Among the groups doing the music is one called the Perkatones. Awesome!

On another topic altogether, I was up this morning at 6:30 AM weeding the flower bed that runs along the street in front of our house. Why? Because it's a death-defying act unless you do it when there's no traffic. There is a blind corner right before our house and Pennsylvanians like pirates seem to think the traffic code is more like guidelines than actual rules. I've never been one to follow speed limits to the letter, but when I'm trying to negotiate an unfamiliar twisting mountain road in the rain, doing the speed limit, as I was last night, I get a little annoyed when I have an impatient driver tailgating me. Chill out, folks! These roads are dangerous even in the summer.

No comments: