Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Weird soda



Today I kept going the rounds of home improvement and big box stores looking for items to help us get organized. Every new grocery has surprises in store (get it?). The last major store I hadn't visited was Gerrity's. I already had a keyring tag for Mr. Z's, Wegman's, Price Chopper and Thomas's. So I added a "Gold card" tag for Gerrity's which is a Shur-Fine store. The Sunshine Market, which is really cool, doesn't have tags! At long last, at Gerrity's I found a store that looks something like my old Kroger. Time will tell whether their store brand is even remotely as good as Kroger's. I found a new soda. Cherikee Red, because it's cheri-flavored I guess. Not only are the name and label radically politically incorrect, but the soda is also not cherry-flavored in the usual sense. I expected black cherry or regular cherry like a Lifesaver. Instead, it's maraschino cherry as in Cherry Coke. Pretty powerful stuff. We both loved it. I'll have to stock up.

Today we went in early for health screening tests at Michael's pharmacy. He goes out early every morning, but I'm not usually out and about at that hour. The mountains covered in blue mist and the rising sun reflected on the Susquehanna were breathtaking. It reminded me again of what it must have been like to be a European explorer seeing America for the first time. It still feels like I'm on vacation when I see a view like that. I hope that never goes away no matter how long we live here.

No comments: