Thursday, July 24, 2008

Grandfather Savage



My great-great-grandfather, Daniel Savage, began life as an illiterate cobbler in London and ended up as a Primitive Methodist minister, even serving as the President of the Primitive Methodist Conference. This is one of the churches he served. This one has been rebuilt but on the side you can see the cornerstone with the date of the original building. Usually stained glass faces inward but I love the glass over the front door. This is still a Primitive Methodist church and I need to call up the minister and introduce myself.

My news this morning is that the wildlife in the yard made for really good watching. Because of some rain showers, the birds and animals were out rather late this morning. I had also weeded the top of the stone wall behind our house so I must have stirred up some bugs. So while I was eating my bowl of cereal at the back door, I saw a rabbit, a chipmunk, a sparrow, an English sparrow, a mourning dove, a flock of grackles, a bluejay, and a close view of a beautiful flicker working very hard on the stone wall, trying to get at some ants probably. Flickers are really big and impressive-looking and I was close enough to this one to see the yellow feathers on the sides of his wings and the red stripe on his face. I was amused when he was scared off by a tiny sparrow. I had been hearing the mourning dove in our neighborhood but hadn't spotted it yet. That is a sound that reminds me of my Southern homes.

No comments: