Tuesday, July 1, 2008

One more thing

Dad came through the procedure today with flying colors and will have surgery tomorrow morning at 7:30. This isn't major surgery so we are expecting all to go well. I'm pretty tired and have had to take care of some details so that I can arrive in Wilkes-Barre on Thursday afternoon and turn around and leave for Virginia the same day. But I'm looking forward to a vacation with Michael.

Two of Momma's friends came to visit today while Dad was having the procedure done. They were hilarious and kept Mom and me totally diverted while he was gone. One told a story on her mother. It seems that the neighbor came over to chew her out and she ordered her off the property. They came to fisticuffs and Mom's friend who was about seventeen figured they were evenly matched so she let them fight it out! But when her mom had the other lady over the railing with a garden hose around her neck, she felt she had to intervene. This friend is about ten years older than me but we had the same high school teachers at Fair Park. She felt like they were old when she had them so my perception that they were decrepit when I got to them ten years later was correct. They were both good storytellers and it really helped to have them there.

Southern hospitality at its best has been at work for days now. Everyone at the hospital has been gracious and helpful. And all of my parents' church friends and neighbors have been great. Their next-door neighbor, Frank, will take me to the airport on Thursday morning.

Dad was so excited to get a call from London today. My brother called and it really made Dad's day.

There is a plan going on here. I've made the remark that I thought I was coming to Louisiana for a wedding! But, in fact, I was really coming to help Mom out while Dad was in the hospital. I'll be interested to see if the reason for the Wilkes-Barre move comes out as clearly as the reason for this trip. Probably not, but I am no less sure that we were sent up there for a reason.

No comments: