Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Welsh ancestors



In spite of the Kielbasa Fest sign in Plymouth, this small town has one of the largest percentages of Welsh in America. 10 per cent of people in Plymouth still claim Welsh ancestry. Although I live in Shavertown, the political entity is Kingston Township (not to be confused with Kingston, the city.) In Kingston township the percentage of Welsh folk is 8.4 per cent. If the addresses haven't changed, these houses are 261 and 263 Gardner St in Plymouth where my great-grandfather William Thomas Jones and his son Thomas Jones lived side by side. Dad will have to tell me if these are the correct houses. My grandfather's house would be the one on the right. I remember Dad saying how carefully you had to park your car on the hill by his grandfather's house. It is extremely steep. The street has a great view of the valley. I have pictures of my great-grandfather sitting in front steps of this house and also a picture of his family with my grandfather Arnott, Sr. as a teenager in front of the house. There was evidently an arbor with vines over the front porch. The pictures seem to match these houses. My mom has a picture of me with my great-grandfather Jones although I don't remember him.

This neighborhood hasn't fared as well as the Lockhart Street one. Plymouth is not a wealthy area but, even so, many of the houses are still well-kept and loved. #263 is in particularly good shape. In reading up on Welsh culture in America I find that I can take Welsh lessons at the Welsh Baptist Church in Plymouth two times a week. Hmm! That would be a big project!

Yesterday was spent writing my LDS romance novel. Michael is reading it now and will help me edit as well. He says he likes it (although he and Morgan both said independently of the other that Chapter Two drags) and is anxious to read more. I hope he's not just saying that to make me feel good. If this project isn't good enough to publish, I need to move on to another.

2 comments:

Georgia and David said...

you really should look up the historical society and give them copies of your photos and info about the houses. If they ever put the houses on the historic registry that information would be attached to the houses indefinitely!

Susan said...

Good point. I am planning on going to the historical society and the local genealogical society too. You are the expert on historic houses since you live in one. But really, all the houses in Wilkes-Barre seem to be this old. They'd have to put the whole town on the registry!